The Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors (RERTR) Program develops technology necessary to enable the conversion of civilian facilities using high enriched uranium (HEU) to low enriched uranium (LEU) fuels and targets. The RERTR Program was initiated by the U.S. Department of Energy in 1978. During the Program's existence, more than 70 research reactors have been converted from HEU (= or >20% U-235) to LEU (< 20% U-235) fuels, nearly 30 additional reactors that used HEU have been verified as shutdown, and processes have been developed for producing radioisotopes with LEU targets. The RERTR Program is managed by the Office of Material Management and Minimization in the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA). The main technology components of the program are:
- Currently-Qualified Fuels
- Advanced Fuel Development
- Foreign Research Reactor Spent Nuclear Fuel
- IAEA/USA Interregional Training Course
on Technical and Administrative Preparations Required for Shipment of Research Reactor Spent Fuel to Its Country of Origin - January 1997
2019 RERTR Meeting - Save the Date
The United States Department of Energy / National Nuclear Security Administration’s Office of Material Management and Minimization (M3) will host the RERTR-2019 International Meeting on Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors in Zagreb, Croatia on October 6-9, 2019.
Past RERTR International Meetings
- 2018 RERTR Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, November 4-8, 2018
- 2017 RERTR Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, USA, November 12-16, 2017
- 2016 RERTR Meeting, Antwerp, Belgium, October 23-27, 2016
- 2015 RERTR Meeting, Seoul, Korea, October 11-14, 2015
- 2014 RERTR Meeting, Vienna, Austria, October 12-15, 2014
- The 2013 RERTR Meeting was cancelled due to the U.S. government shutdown
- 2012 RERTR Meeting, Warsaw, Poland, October 14-17, 2012.
- 2011 RERTR Meeting, Santiago, Chile, October 23-27, 2011.
- 2010 RERTR Meeting, Lisbon, Portugal, October 10-14, 2010.
- 2009 RERTR Meeting, Beijing, China, November 1-5, 2009.
For the complete list of RERTR International Meetings, see RERTR International Meetings