IAEA/USA Interregional course on
Preparations to Ship Spent Nuclear Fuel (1997)
SAVANNAH RIVER SITE APPENDIX
PDF version available
DOWNLOAD full paper in PDF format.
Mr. Trent Andes
Westinghouse Savannah River Co.
Building 707-C, Room 383
Aiken, SC 29808
IAEA/USA Interregional Training Course
Technical and Administrative Preparations Required for Shipment of Research Reactor Spent Fuel to its Country of Origin
13-24 January 1997
MTR FUEL CLASSIFICATION
SAVANNAH RIVER SITE
APPENDIX A AGREEMENT
Trent C. Andes
Spent Fuel Storage Division
Westinghouse Savannah River Company
- Contract/Agreement between the Department
of Energy (i,e., U.S. Government) and Domestic or Foreign Reactor Facilities
to assume ownership of specified materials to be received at the Savannah
- Provides detailed description of specified
- Utilized by Savannah River Operations
as the basis for safety analysis documentation (i.e., Criticality, Final
Disposition, Facility Standards).
- Required 180 days prior to tentative shipping date.
Appendix A Form Requires:
- Customer (or Reactor Operator) contact
- Drawing identification
Drawings typically include:
- Overall assembly
- Fuel elements (plates or tubes)
- Side plates
- End fittings
- Dummy plates
Important: Six (6) copies of all drawings are required at time of Appendix A submittal.
- Material description
Important: All dimensions are to be recorded in centimeters.
All weights are to be recorded in grams.
- Nominal fuel "element" description
- Nominal fuel "assembly" description
Nominal Fuel "Element" Description:
- Fuel element type (plate or tube)
Total element, fuel meat, cladding
Total element, fuel meat, and constituents (U, 235 U , Matrix), cladding
- Chemical form of fuel meat
UAlx-Al, U3O8 -Al, U3Six -Al
- Method of sealing cladding and fuel
Nominal Fuel "Assembly" Description:
- Total number of elements
Overall assembly, side plates, end boxes or fittings, spacers
- Overall assembly, total assembly U content,
total assembly 235U content, side plates,
end boxes or fittings, spacers
- Percentage of 235U enrichment
- Canning description
Applicable for failed, distorted, or disassembled fuel assemblies
If the assembly has been cropped/cut:
- Drawings should indicate crop lines
- Dimensions and weights should be reflected in the descriptions
- Unique assembly identification numbers should be intact
Sodium bearing assemblies
authorized for storage at the SRS.
Appendix A Form Requires (cont.):
- Fuel identification
- List of the specific identification numbers for assemblies described in this contract
- Fuel irradiation specifications
- General history of the specified assemblies in terms of:
- Time in reactor
- Power level
- Last date of criticality
- Post-irradiation isotopics for the average fuel assembly
- Fuel irradiation history for the specific
- Match specific assembly to its:
- Pre-irradiation U and 235 U content
- Post-irradiation isotopics
- Operating history
- Decay heat
- Specifications for failed/warped fuel
- Notification shall be made to DOE
of any fuels with questionable physical integrity. A minimum of 270 days
notice in advance of the tentative shipping date is required.
- Notification shall be made to DOE of any fuels with questionable physical integrity. A minimum of 270 days notice in advance of the tentative shipping date is required.
- Cask and basket identification
- List cask and basket combinations utilized in shipping the specified assemblies.
Savannah River Contacts:
Jay Thomas, WSRC, (803) 557-9526
Trent Andes, WSRC, (803) 557-9483
Peggy Brooks, WSRC, (803) 557-9989